Friday, September 29, 2023

ARC Review - The Road of Bones by Demi Winters

 Thank you so much Demi Winters and NerdFam for sending me this ARC!

Title: The Road of Bones
Author: Demi Winters
Genre: Fantasy Romance
Series: The Ashen (book #1)
Pages: 640

Synopsis:

A woman on the run. A crew of Viking mercenaries. A forbidden romance. And the secret which could destroy them all.

Silla Nordvig is running for her life. The Queen of Íseldur has sent warriors to bring Silla to Sunnavík, where death awaits her. When her father is killed, his last words set Silla on a perilous travel the treacherous Road of Bones–a thousand-mile stretch haunted by warbands, creatures of darkness, and a mysterious murderer–and go to Kopa, where a shield-house awaits her. 

After barely surviving the first stretch of road, a desperate Silla sneaks into a supply wagon belonging to the notorious Bloodaxe Crew. To make it to Kopa, she must win over Axe Eyes, the brooding leader of the Crew, while avoiding the Wolf, his distractingly handsome right-hand man. But the queen’s ruthless assassin has other plans and hunts Silla obsessively. Will Silla make it safely to Kopa? Or will she fall prey to the perils of the Road of Bones?


Review & thoughts:


The Road of Bones is the first book in an adult fantasy romance series and I can’t believe it’s a debut novel, it’s an amazing read that I couldn’t put down!

After her father is killed, Silla’s whole world turns upside down. To fulfill her father’s last request, she must travel to Kopa through a dangerous path she knows she won’t be able survive alone. After trying to hide on a wagon, she is quickly discovered by the infamous mercenaries called Bloodaxe Crew and makes a deal to travel with them. Trying to win the favor of her new travelling companions and their distrustful leader, Silla will have to find a way to get to Kopa all the while being hunted by an assassin and soldiers and also trying not to lose her heart. 

I must admit it took me some time to get into this book and become fully invested in this story but when it finally happened, I couldn’t put it down. I loved the world this author created, we have Viking-like culture where people possessing magic are hunted and publicly killed and no one can be trusted. There is a lot of traveling while the main characters embark on the journey through the Road of Bones and I felt like the plot was paced perfectly, there was a lot of happening with many plot twists, but also there wasn’t any info dump and everything was explained in a natural way with some revelations I managed to predict, but also some that were truly unexpected. 

Our main character, Silla, begins like a bit naive and helpless girl and I absolutely loved her character development, she had a hidden strength to survive everything she went through and while she is still not a badass warrior at the end of the book, she is much stronger and and I can’t wait to see her character grow even more in the next book. While I’m not really a fan of love triangles and tend to avoid them in books, the one here was written perfectly and didn’t bother me at all, I had my preference and have to say the love triangle was worked out in a really great way and I can’t wait for more romance in the next book. 

The Road of Bones is a really great fantasy romance book with many of my favorite tropes that I really loved! While there is not a big cliffhanger, the ending has me excited to know what happens next and I can’t wait for the next book, really recommend this book to all fantasy romance lovers.


Rating:

⭐⭐⭐⭐/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

ARC Review - MILO by E. L. Lewis

  Thank you so much  Hambright PR  for sending me this ARC! Title: MILO Author:  E.L. Lewis Genre: Dark Mafia Romance Series: Standalone Pag...