Sunday, October 2, 2022

ARC Review - Court of Blood and Bindings by Lisette Marshall

 Thank you so much Lisette Marshall for this ARC!


Title: Court of Blood and Bindings
Author: Lisette Marshall 
Genre: Fantasy Romance
Series: Fan Isles (book #1)
Pages: 436

Synopsis:


They call him the Silent Death, because he kills without sound and leaves none capable of speaking in his wake…

When the empire’s deadliest fae murderer catches her wielding forbidden magic, twenty-year-old Emelin believes her hour has come. Instead, her inhumanly beautiful captor spares her life, but carries her off on his velvet wings – into the one place from which no human ever returns.

The heart of the Fae Isles. The treacherous Crimson Court, where the Mother of faekind has ruled unchallenged over fae and humans for decades.

The Silent Death is supposed to be the Mother’s loyal servant, her invincible warrior, her ruthless, soulless killer. But in the shadows he is playing a game of his own, and he needs Emelin’s magic to win it.

If she agrees to work with him, she could free all of humanity. But can she trust a fae male with so much blood on his hands? Worse, when his smouldering dark eyes and dangerous secrets reveal glimpses of the heart behind his murderer’s mask… can she trust herself?


Review & thoughts:


Court of Blood and Bindings is the first book in a new fantasy romance series by Lisette Marshall. It’s the first book I’ve read by this author and now I need to read all her books because this one is simply amazing!

Both of Emelin’s parents are humans so she spent her whole life hiding and hating her magic, thinking something is wrong with her. When her home and the island where she lived all her life are destroyed and all humans flee, Emelin is kidnapped by Silent Death, Mother’s assassin and the most feared man in the world. Having no other choice, she agrees to work with him in exchange for protection. But Emelin quickly realizes Creon might not be the monster everyone believes him to be, and the more they work together, the more she finds herself unable to control her growing infatuation. 

Let me begin by saying I’m 100% in love with Creon, he is now one of my favorite book boyfriends! I know we are supposed to hate him at first for all the terrible things he did, but as soon as I met him I knew he would be my favorite character, I’m a sucker for a tortured, morally grey MMC. I loved his and Em’s relationship, they had a beautiful slow burn romance and I’m almost sure it was a case of hero-falls-first which is one of my favorite tropes. Court of Blood and Bindings actually has most of my favorite tropes (enemies to lovers, forced proximity, morally grey MMC, strong and badass heroine, touch her and die) so it’s no surprise it became one of my favorite books! 

In addition to amazing romance, I really liked the magic system, it was one of the most unique I’ve ever read about, the idea of magic based on colors was really interesting and I can’t wait to find out more about it in the next books. The court politics were also really fascinating and the Mother must be one of the most unusual characters I’ve ever seen. 

I absolutely love Court of Blood and Bindings, it is a gripping story with my favorite kind of romance and fascinating plot that will leave you wanting more! Now I can’t wait for the sequel, after that ending it can’t come soon enough!


Rating:

⭐⭐⭐⭐/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

ARC Review - Mayhem & Minnie by Veronica Lancet

  Thank you so much  Chaotic Creative Services  for sending me this ARC! Title: Mayhem & Minnie Author:  Veronica Lancet Genre: Dark Rom...