Friday, September 29, 2023

ARC Review - Hollowed by Jessica S. Taylor

 Thank you so much Jessica S. Taylor for sending me this ARC!

Title: Hollowed
Author: Jessica S. Taylor
Genre: Fantasy Romance
Series: Standalone
Pages: 359

Synopsis:

Nothing is ever as it seems in Sleepy Hollow…

Sleepy Hollow is crumbling. To protect the supernatural town from the mundane world, each year a resident is sacrificed to The Dullahan, the Headless Horseman that protects the veil around the Hollow.

Nineteen-year-old Katrina van Tassel knows she’s a disappointment to her parents, for more reasons than one. But as the only daughter of the most prominent family in Sleepy Hollow, she never imagined that she would be chosen as the next sacrifice.

Or that in her attempt to escape, she would instead come face to face with the Horseman himself.

But the harbinger of death isn’t who they said he was, and Katrina begins to question everything she has ever been told. Evil forces far more dangerous than the mysterious Horseman are at work in the Hollow, and the Horseman is determined to protect Sleepy Hollow.

Katrina is tempted to take the Horseman’s offer of assistance in fleeing Sleepy Hollow, rather than staying to fight by his side to save the town. Until he reveals she’s the only one with the power to stop the evil being summoned…


Review & thoughts:


Hollowed is a standalone Fantasy Romance and a Sleepy Hollow reimagining that I really enjoyed and if, like me, you have loved this author’s other books, I’m sure you’re going to like this one too! 


This book was my introduction into this spooky season and what a great read it turned out to be. I’m not going to say much about the plot of Hollowed because I went into it blindly and I think it’s the best way to read it. The whole town, the magical creatures and the magic system were described in a really fascinating way and I loved discovering it all. The plot was interesting and after a quite slow beginning, it was fast paced with a lot happening and plot twists that kept me on the edge of my seat. 


I must admit it took me some time to like our main character, Katrina. She was a bit naive and childish in the beginning of the book and annoyed me sometimes, but she grew a lot and I really liked seeing her character develop, it was amazing to see who she became in the end. Alexander was amazing, I loved him since the moment he appeared and really enjoyed his and Katrina’s slow burn romance, they were so cute and amazing together. I maybe would have liked a bit more romance between these two, but there was enough amount to satisfy my inner romantic. 


Hollowed is a great fantasy romance book that I really enjoyed and definitely recommend to everyone who enjoys this genre and if you’re looking for a spooky read, you should definitely give Hollowed a chance!


Rating:

⭐⭐⭐/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

ARC Review - Mayhem & Minnie by Veronica Lancet

  Thank you so much  Chaotic Creative Services  for sending me this ARC! Title: Mayhem & Minnie Author:  Veronica Lancet Genre: Dark Rom...