Sunday, August 4, 2024

ARC Review - Of Monsters of Kings by Kelly St. Clare

Thank you so much Kelly St. Clare for sending me this ARC!

Title: Of Monsters of Kings
Author: Kelly St. Clare
Genre: Dark Fantasy Romance
Series: Unworldly City #1
Pages: 322

Synopsis:

In the 1200 years since The End, fifty mothers in my line have passed the truth to their daughters. They passed truths of how the world was, of how the world changed, and even mythical stories of powerful romances that sparked great tragedy and war.

Those romances are dead and gone, and as the fiftieth daughter, I am determined the truths of my ancestors will die with me too.
I will be the last daughter to bury her withered mother.

But ancients pull back the bloodied curtain without warning, and I cannot unsee the hidden world revealed beyond. Sinister impossibilities lurk in this walled city. They have always existed—dusk immortals who battle and prowl, filled with menace and conflicting purpose. And they, even the dark creature I blind with my presence, must decide the fate of all.

Yet fifty mothers prepared for nightfall. They knew five kings could not win.

Now the fiftieth daughter will walk into the toothed beast’s yawn.

For the mighty never stirred at dawn… and I’m about to inherit something more monstrous than the truth.


Review & thoughts:

Of Monsters of Kings is the newest book from Kelly St. Clare and a great mix of gothic romance, fantasy and horror that I really enjoyed. 

I’m not going to say much about the plot of this book because I think it’s best to go in blind like I did but I must admit it’s one of the most unique books I’ve ever read, I can’t remember when I read something even remotely similar. The beginning of this book was a bit peculiar, to say the least, and it took me a while to become fully invested, but once I did, I couldn’t put it down. The author created a really interesting world and characters and I loved reading about it and getting to know everyone, especially all the princes (I really liked them all), the magic system was fascinating and making most of the characters monsters was a great and perfectly executed idea. There was a lot I didn’t understand about the world, plot and the characters (and still don’t) but the author made a good job of keeping the reader wanting to know more while slowly revealing everything and I can’t wait to learn more in the next book. 

Patch was a really interesting and strong main character, she annoyed me a bit in the beginning but I loved how much she grew in this book into who she is meant to be and after that reveal at the end I’m excited to see her again in the next book. The romance was a true slow burn but while much about him is still a mystery, I liked the MMC and enjoyed all his scenes with Patch, I hope we will get to see their relationship develop more in book 2. 

Of Monsters of Kings is a great start to an interesting series and if you enjoy this kind of books I definitely recommend it and am excited to read the next book.


Rating:

⭐⭐⭐⭐/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

ARC Review - MILO by E. L. Lewis

  Thank you so much  Hambright PR  for sending me this ARC! Title: MILO Author:  E.L. Lewis Genre: Dark Mafia Romance Series: Standalone Pag...