Friday, September 29, 2023

ARC Review - Of Magic and Men by Meg Alivien

 Thank you so much Meg Alivien for sending me this ARC!

Title: Of Magic and Men
Author: Meg Alivien
Genre: Fantasy Romance
Series: Of Magic and Men (book #1)
Pages: 418

Synopsis:

Of Magic and Men is a witchy fantasy romance with slow burn spice, earth magic, a prisoner & guard romance, and a villain inspired by Maleficent!


It started with a curse. It will end with a promise.

The county of Ghoma is on the brink of war. For fifty years, it has been led by the tyrant witch-queen Madam Lema. Witches and demons have been at each other’s throats for over a century, ever since a curse was cast that transformed all men with magic into demons.

Meanwhile, humans like Freyah Kenpaw simply try to stay out of the way. That is, until she publicly offends a handsome but arrogant soldier of the queen and is snatched away under the cover of darkness to answer for her crime. But the mysterious and grumpy soldier is not who Freyah thought he was, and soon her animosity towards him turns into something else.

After arriving at Castle Larapuna, Freyah learns that her crime might not be the only reason she was brought there. Under the guise of serving her punishment, Freyah is forced to remain at the castle to help Madam Lema uncover secrets of the rebellion facing the country. Suddenly, after years of isolation in her small mountain town of Last Cove, Freyah is thrust into a dangerous world of magic, secrets, and deception.

Caught in the middle of a century-long battle between good and evil and the battle taking place in her own heart, Freyah must figure out the truth from the lies. But who can she trust?

After all, there are two sides to every story.


Review & thoughts:


Of Magic & Men is the first book in a NA Fantasy Romance series with witches, demons, magic and plot twists that kept me on the edge of my seat, I really enjoyed this book!

When Freyah is taken against her will to the castle, she knows the life as she knew it is over. Being an unwilling pawn in the queen’s plans, Freyah has to figure out how to fight for her freedom while attempting not to fall for the handsome guard who took her from her home, but who proves to be so much more than she thought. 

Meg Alivien created a very fascinating world that I loved discovering, everything was well described and I was impressed as this is her debut novel. There were multiple POVs and while in most such books I enjoy some POVs more than the others, I liked all of them equally in OMAM, all those characters were really interesting and I was invested in all their stories. Freyah and Whit were amazing together, I loved their slow burn romance and hope to see more of it in the next book. Lyra and Oram… let’s just say I loved these two, they were so sweet and I was rooting for them to find a way to be happy together. When it comes to Madam Lema, she is a very complex character whose motives we can partially understand and that makes her a perfect villain, I can’t wait to read more about her. 

The reason this wasn’t a five star read for me is because I felt that there were moments in the book that dragged a bit, especially in the middle, and there were some cases of telling and not showing which prevented me from fully enjoying this book. 

Of Magic and Men is a really great debut novel and interesting fantasy romance book that I liked a lot and I will definitely continue reading this series because OMG that plot twist and the end and the cliffhanger made me speechless! Book 2 can’t come soon enough.


Rating:

⭐⭐⭐⭐/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

ARC Review - Mayhem & Minnie by Veronica Lancet

  Thank you so much  Chaotic Creative Services  for sending me this ARC! Title: Mayhem & Minnie Author:  Veronica Lancet Genre: Dark Rom...