Sunday, February 11, 2024

ARC Review - A Touch of Gold and Madness by K. L. Devore

 Thank you so much K. L. Devore for sending me this ARC!

Title: A Touch of Gold and Madness
Author: K. L. Devore
Genre: Fantasy Romance
Series: Celestials of Arcadia (book #1)
Pages: 624

Synopsis:

Fairytales are for the naive.

Princess Assassin Gray Monroe is ordered by her father to kill the villainous prince responsible for starting a war that threw the world into a post-apocalyptic society. In a decrepit landscape where two magical species war with one another, while a human militia hunts them all, Gray has only one thing on her mind: vengeance.

With a single focus on killing the man who murdered her first love, she believes nothing will stop her. That is until she hesitates when she comes face-to-face with her nemesis at long last.

Unable to complete the task, Gray must return to the King’s Palace empty-handed for her annual birthday celebration to a court of vipers who lie in wait for her to slip in her icy façade. When a sinister plot is revealed to assassinate the princess, she must flee into a world where she’s now the hunted and fight to survive to get the revenge she’s owed.

Prince Griffin Silas is on a mission of his own: to kill the king. The problem is he’s suffering from an affliction that robs him of his sanity while making him crave violence and death. But first, he needs the princess in his hands, no matter the cost. In a race against his spiraling affliction, who will achieve their goal first? 


Review & thoughts:


A Touch of Gold & Madness is the first book in a Dark Fantasy Romance series and OMG I still can’t believe how perfect this book is, I’ve been waiting to read it for months and it exceeded all my expectations, I absolutely loved it!

I’m not going to say much about the plot because I think it’s the kind of book it’s best to go into blindly. Our main character, Gray, is a princess turned assassin tasked by her father to kill a prince of the enemy race, who, in turn, wants to kill her father. Gray and Griffin start as real enemies trying to kill each other with some amazing dagger to throat scenes (I always love those!) and I absolutely loved their slow burn enemies to reluctant allies to lovers romance, these two own my heart and I loved their every moment together. Gray and Griffin are very complicated characters with traumatic pasts and they are the definition of morally grey, I loved getting to know them and it was amazing to see how much they grew throughout the book. There are also so many amazing side characters that I loved and the found family trope was written perfectly here. 

Now, I must say something about the world building because it was definitely one of the most unique and fascinating I’ve ever read about, both the world building and the magic system were so complex and interesting I loved every second I spent reading about it and already can’t wait to explore more of it in the next books in this series. I really enjoyed the writing style, there was no info dump and we learned everything organically and the plot was perfectly paced with so many mind-blowing plot twists I couldn’t put this book down and OMG that cliffhanger at the end is so brutal, I NEED the next book ASAP!

A Touch of Gold & Madness is an incredible dark fantasy romance that I’m sure everyone who enjoys this genre is going to love. I still can’t believe it’s a debut book, honestly every single thing was perfect and I loved reading about Gray and Griffin’s journey. The next book can’t come soon enough!


Rating:

⭐⭐⭐⭐/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

ARC Review - MILO by E. L. Lewis

  Thank you so much  Hambright PR  for sending me this ARC! Title: MILO Author:  E.L. Lewis Genre: Dark Mafia Romance Series: Standalone Pag...