Sunday, April 28, 2024

ARC Review - City of Mirth and Malice by Alexis L. Menard

 Thank you so much Alexis L. Menard for sending me this ARC!


Title: City of Mirth and Malice
Author: Alexis L. Menard
Genre: Fantasy Romance
Series: Order and Chaos (book #2)
Pages: 495

Synopsis:

Some debts are not so easily repaid—or forgiven.

Nicolai Attano finally has everything he’s ever wanted: control over the Iron Saint Railway, safety for his family, and not a single rival syndicate to stand in his way. Never could he have imagined he’d want anything more than power—not until Camilla Marchese.

Six weeks have passed since the disaster on the train and his wife was kidnapped, but to get her back, he’ll need help. Nico struggles to work with a city poisoned against him and is instead forced to seek the aid of a disreputable black-market dealer. A simple deal to ensure her rescue, Nico doesn’t think twice. A bargain is struck, and the cost is higher than ever. The collateral? His life. 

Meanwhile, Camilla fights to gain control over her newfound powers as the alchemist in charge of her confinement puts her to the test. Forced to free what she’s held so close, the only light in this hellish prison is the hope to see her family again, and the husband who stole her heart. Three trials and three chances to find the source of her Chaos and use it to save herself, if it doesn’t destroy her first.

Cracks in the city draw lines between loyalties, and time is running out until everything comes crashing down. Return to Lynchaven in this action-packed and swoony conclusion of Nico and Milla’s story.


Review & thoughts:

City of Mirth and Malice is the second book in a Fantasy Romance duology with morally grey characters, beautiful and spicy romance, fascinating world and shocking plot twists and while I loved the first book when I read it half a year ago, I think I enjoyed this one even more, I love this duology!

City of Mirth and Malice begins not long after THAT ending of book one and after everything that happened there, we are thrown right in the middle of the action. This book was everything I was hoping for and more, we see all the amazing characters we were introduced to in the first book and I loved seeing everyone again. The stakes are much higher here and we got so many plot twists, shocking betrayals and so much action I read the whole book in one night because I couldn’t put it down, the author created a truly unique world with fascinating magic system and politics that had me hooked on every single page. 

Camilla is one of the strongest FMCs I know, she went through a lot in this book and came out even stronger and I love her character and how much she grew from the beginning of book 1. Nico is a perfect morally grey MMC and the way he was absolutely devoted to Camilla was so beautiful, I loved reading his POV and his thoughts about her. Camilla and Nico have gone a long way from how their relationship started and it was amazing to see them as a couple here, they always supported and took care of each other and I loved all their scenes together, they were a perfect couple despite their differences and the spicy scenes were *chief’s kiss*, I found myself blushing a few times, these two were a fire together and I already miss them. 

City of Mirth and Malice is the perfect conclusion to this fantasy romance duology, I laughed, I cried, I swooned and I already can’t wait for more books from this author and keep my fingers crossed we will get to see these characters again. Definitely recommend this duology to everyone!


Rating:

⭐⭐⭐⭐/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

ARC Review - Mayhem & Minnie by Veronica Lancet

  Thank you so much  Chaotic Creative Services  for sending me this ARC! Title: Mayhem & Minnie Author:  Veronica Lancet Genre: Dark Rom...